If you are just getting started with your fitness lifestyle, today’s post from Amanda is just for you!
For moms, finding the time and energy to maintain a workout regimen is often challenging. Between work, raising children, running a household and maintaining relationships, finding the time to work out can be difficult, to say the least. That’s why, for most of us, workouts need to be quick, enjoyable and, most importantly, effective. Well, if effectiveness is what you seek, look no further.
Keep reading to discover tips on how to enhance the quality of your workouts, and therefore reap all the great benefits of regular exercise.
You may think that workout gear is frivolous or unnecessary; well, think again. Active wear, footwear, props and other types of fitness gear can not only make your workouts more enjoyable, but they can also boost effectiveness, reduce the risk of injury and more. For maximum fitness efficiency, check out the following tips on choosing the proper gear.
• Footwear: When it comes to footwear, it’s important to choose a pair designed to suit your preferred fitness activity. Furthermore, footwear should fit properly, and provide the adequate support based on your individual needs.
• Activewear: While you may not need activewear for every day of the week, a few key pieces will help ensure a safer, more effective workout. The necessities include sports bras, supportive tops, and bottoms designed for your specific workout routine.
• Compression clothing: No matter your workout preferences, compression clothing can boost performance, promote healing, and reduce the risk of injury by providing stability to the muscles and joints. What’s more, according to customer reviews, items like compression socks reduce odor, wick away moisture, and lend to the overall comfort and effectiveness of workouts.
If there’s one thing that will take your workouts to the next level, it’s the proper nutrition. With advantages like enhanced energy, improved body function and heightened metabolism, a nutrient-rich diet is essential to a more effective exercise regimen. Tips like the following will help boost performance, as well as improve overall health and quality of life.
• Go fresh: Overly-processed meals and snacks are typically void of nutritional value, and most contain excess amounts of sugar, sodium, preservatives and other potentially-harmful ingredients. On the other hand, whole foods are full of vitamins and minerals, and provide clean, long-lasting energy.
• Balance: To ensure nutritional balance, be sure to incorporate a wide variety of foods into your meal plan. Do this by enjoying foods of all different colors, tastes and textures, as well as by experimenting with new recipes and unfamiliar foods.
• Whole grains: When it comes to carbohydrates, choose the “good” (complex) over the “bad” (simple). Whole grains like oats, barley, brown rice and quinoa boost energy and metabolism, without the spikes in blood sugar associated with starches and refined carbs.
• Protein: Sufficient protein intake will enhance athletic performance, promote a healthier post-workout recovery, and aid in the building and toning of lean muscle. To avoid excess fat and cholesterol, choose lean cuts of meat, such as grilled fish or chicken, as well as the non-animal protein found in beans, nuts and soy.
• Eat less, more often: For enhanced metabolic function, eat several small meals and snacks throughout the day. Eating smaller portions every few hours can boost energy, help combat food cravings, and reduce the tendency to binge or overeat.
• Hydrate: Insufficient hydration can lead to sluggishness, fatigue and poor body function, all of which can significantly impact the effectiveness of your workouts. Avoid this by drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day.
Making the Most of Your Workouts
In addition to diet and the right gear, there are a number of ways moms can enhance the benefits of their workout routines. Tips like the following, for example, will boost energy, increase calorie burn, and improve the overall effectiveness of exercise.
• Make every minute count. Instead of trying to carve out one big chunk of time for exercise, utilize short moments of free time throughout your day. Take a brisk walk on your lunch break. Work on your abs while your children nap. Take extra trips up and down the stairs. You get the idea. Those small moments of activity can add up to big benefits, so take advantage of every minute.
• Switch up your workout. If you do the same workouts, day after day, you may not be reaping the full benefits of regular exercise. When our bodies become accustomed to certain activities, we may experience what’s known as a fitness plateau. One great way to break through this rut is by incorporating new workouts into your fitness regimen.
• Get an exercise buddy. A workout partner can help keep you accountable and on track with your fitness goals. Plus, a little friendly competition may give you just the edge you need to make the most of your workouts.
And there you have it! No more feeling frustrated with ineffective, unfulfilling workouts. Now you’re ready to boost the quality of your workouts, simply, safely and effectively.