Summer may be coming to an end but that doesn’t mean it is time to let our bodies go to “waist”!
Here are some year round tips to help keep us fit, healthy and happy!
- MOVE MORE!! Daily activity is essential for optimal health. Incorporate movement into your daily activities by taking a short walk during lunch or after dinner, run the sidelines at your kids soccer games, do push-ups during the commercials when watching TV, do squats and lunges when doing the laundry…..the opportunities are endless! These activities throughout your day can really boost your body’s calorie-burning abilities!
- Strength does a body good! Lifting weights will not only build strong muscles but will also increase your metabolic rate. What does this mean? Your body will burn MORE calories all day long! It will also help to build stronger bones and help fight off osteoporosis.
- Think before you eat. When choosing foods, really ask yourself what are you putting into your body. Say out loud “Will eating this food help me reach/keep me at my goal?” If not, make a better choice.
- Eat for a purpose. Many time we find ourselves eating just because it feels good or we are doing another activity and aren’t tuned in. We aren’t really hungry, we are just eating because it is something to do. Become aware of this bad habit and work to break it now! Choose to eat only when you are hungry and pay attention.
- Create healthy habits. The food we eat is usually out of habit. Replace poor food choices with good ones regularly to create healthy habits. You’ll feel better when you eat properly and will soon realize how poor food choices will negatively impact your energy levels.
- Out of sight, out of mind. If you don’t buy junk food, you cannot eat it! Resist the temptation to put crap in your cart. If you must buy snacks for your kids, buy the single serving packs and keep them in a separate area of your kitchen/pantry. If you find yourself tempted, go back to step #2!
- Don’t skip meals. To keep our metabolism active, we must eat periodically throughout the day (ideally every three to four hours). If you drastically reduce calories by skipping meals you will force your body into starvation mode thus decreasing your metabolism and reducing your energy levels. Skipping meals can also lead to overeating later in the day because when you do finally decide to eat, you might end up binging on whatever food you can find. Focus on eating healthy meals and snacks all day long.
- Your health is forever! Your goal should be to make life changes, not quick fixes. Don’t just eat healthy and exercise for a month or two—make it a lifestyle change!!