Now that my shoulder has healed, I’m so excited to be able to get back out there and RUN! Here are some of my winter running tips to keep you safe and get your body ready for summer. Don’t forget gang, summer bodies are made in the winter!
Winter Running Tips to Keep you Safe!
Winter running tip to keep you safe:Pick the right clothes! –>
- Avoid cotton. Cotton is a wonderful fabric-for T-shirts, dress shirts and sheets, NOT for working out! Cotton absorbs moisture so it becomes heavy and rough when it gets wet. When you choose it as your base layer, it is going to cling to you and be very uncomfortable. Instead, choose moisture-wicking tops as your base layer.
- Wear a lightweight, breathable jacket over your base layer on days that the temperature is above freezing. Because they “breathe”, jackets allow the moisture that has been pulled off your skin by the base layer to escape. The breatheability also keeps you from over-heating as your body warms up.
- Don’t forget your head and hands—wear hats and gloves that will block the wind and keep you warm and dry.
- They are called layers for a reason! Take layers off and put them back on as needed.
I get most of my workout clothes from Reebok, they always have great sales going on and I don’t have to leave the house to shop. 🙂Get 25% off SITEWIDE during the Reebok President’s Day Sale
2. Winter running tip to keep you safe:Make sure to warm up!–>
- Now that I am older, I appreciate this so much more! Take a few extra minutes to get your joints and body loose. Do some dynamic leg stretches, use bands to warm up the glutes so you have full muscle activation when you start running. Trust me…..your older self with thank you for this! Your knees may not crack/hurt right now, but someday they will! These are my absolute favorite bands—order a set here , you will love them!
3. Winter running tip to keep you safe: plan your route –>
- Stick to a route that you are familiar with and is well-lit, preferably fairly close to home. Winter conditions can be dicey, whether it is snow, ice, or just too cold out and you want to have the option to get back home when conditions get to be too much. You also want to make sure to wear plenty of reflective gear and always run against traffic. Since most of my running stuff is black, I’m now hooked on wearing a headlamp while running. Not only does it light the path for me, but it ensures that anyone out there can see me coming. I highly recommend the Shining Buddy, it is super comfy to wear and doesn’t bounce around while you are running.
4. Winter running tip to keep you safe: Carry ID and essentials–>
- I always run with my phone and my ID. These days, you just never know what might happen and the last thing you need is to be stuck somewhere with no form of communication or identification. I usually carry it in my hand, which is an awkward and heavy because I have an iPhone7+ with an Otterbox case.I think I have tried every running belt out there that has promised to fit my 7+ and until last week, I didn’t have any success. The running belt from Shining Buddy however is the BOMB. Seriously, I’m in love with a running belt. Not only is it comfortable and doesn’t feel like I’m being strangled, but it fits my giant phone! I was skeptical at first, but it lives up to the promise!
It also has an LED light with 3 settings — blink, strobe, and steady. (you activate it by pressing the red button on the right) I just love this feature as an added safety measure! It has another little pocket for you to keep keys, chapstick, snacks, etc. I am so impressed with the affordable price tag on this one, at only $13, you really cannot go wrong! Order yours here–>
Those are just a few winter running tips to keep you safe, do have any other tips to share? Leave them in a comment below!
Thanks for reading!
*disclosure: This post is a sponsored post and contains affiliate links.