So lately I have been doing a whole lot of nothing. Read on for my 5 steps for getting back in shape this fall. My clothes don’t fit, I feel like crap, and I’m tired all the time. This ends today….I’m officially starting over and going to work on getting back in shape. My winter body is going to be AMAZING. (research shows if you write it down….it is more likely to happen!) Who wants to be my accountability partner!?
5 steps for getting back in shape
1. Cut out the crap food! This is my biggest downfall. I love food and especially junk food. I’m going to stop buying all the junk food snacks because if they are not in my house, I cannot eat them. Anyone else mindlessly munch on the couch after the kids go to sleep? Yes,I can relate. No more of that, ok? My meals will consist of lean protein, lots of green veggies and a light carb.
2. Water. Water. And more Water. As I have confessed before, I am a Diet Pepsi addict. I have tried many times to kick the habit, but still no luck. This time I’m going to limit myself to just one glass of it per day. Everything else will be water. No more wine or beer either. (hold me!) Going out on the weekends is not going to help me with my goal of getting back into shape.
3. Daily walks: I used to take 30-60 minute leisure walks every day as research shows a daily walk has multiple health benefits. When I moved to Richmond, I unfortunately fell out of the habit. Now that I have a dog, I need to do this for both of us! She is just as cranky as I am when I don’t get my daily exercise. I might even recharge my fitbit to hold myself accountable.
4. Sprints: Sprinting is amazing for fat loss and the truth is I have a lot of extra fat to lose right now! Sprint training creates a metabolic effect that leads to enhanced fat burning for days after the workout is over. On top of that, they are FUN!
I am going to incorporate sprints into my routine and commit to 2 times a week. One of my go-to sprint workouts is to visit a middle school track and sprint the straightaways and jog/walk the turns. Start out slow though as sprint workouts are intense! Give your body plenty of warm up time and then make sure to cool down and stretch afterwards.
5. Lift heavy stuff! Plan to lift weights at least 3-4 days a week. It doesn’t matter if you do split workouts or full body, just make sure you hit all the major muscle groups. I like to train legs, so I usually do those twice per week. One of my favorite workout programs is Magnify You from Ashley Horner. It is a 12 week program encouraging you to lift as heavy as you can. Click here to buy your own copy and start getting back in shape!
Ok gang, you ready? Let’s go moving and start getting back in shape today!