After years of being a gym rat, I have canceled all the memberships and now really only enjoy working out at home –alone! In addition to the childcare issue, I find the gym atmosphere too distracting for me at this point in my life. Maybe when my kids are older and I have some more free time, I’ll venture back to group fitness and teaching but for now, I’m digging my space at home.
Here are 5 of my current “must have” pieces of equipment for my home gym: (I say current, because I am always changing things up and what I love NOW, might not be what I love this time next year.)
- Treadmill: Although it was pricey, it gets used pretty much every day. Right now I love to do sprints and intervals and I sometimes just use it for a nice long walk while watching TV. It was definitely a good investment for me.
- Kettlebells: I love them all and I don’t think I can ever get enough. If you can just get one, go for one that is heavier and use it just for swings. You should NOT waste your money on anything lighter than 20lbs!!!
- Bench: I have an old step bench that I use as a platform for box jumps and step ups. I also use it as a flat bench for chest press or tricep dips. And every now and then, I bust out some old step aerobic moves! It has so many different uses and easy to store away in a corner too!
- Pull up bar: Nothing makes me feel more like a badass than doing some pull ups! I loved our Door Gym but I was very excited when I got this portable one.
- Foam Rollers (get extra firm) This is something you will love to hate. Your muscles need it though and it gets easier (translation: less painful) the more often you do it! If you need a “how-to” on foam rolling, I highly recommend Ashley Borden’s roll out guide.
How about you gang?
What are your (current) home gym favorites?