I’ve hired a few personal trainers, some good….some pretty awful.
The one I have right now?
Here are 5 reasons why I love to hate her::)
- She LISTENS to my goals. I cannot tell you how many times I have told a trainer that I had no real interest in doing cardio and then found myself doing just that for most of the hour. Yes, it’s super easy (as a trainer) to drop someone at the treadmill and come back in 30 minutes. That however is not what I am paying for!
- She won’t let me slack. Even though I am a trainer myself and know all the tricks (shoe tying, extra drinks of water, etc.) —she is right there encouraging me to keep on whining going.
- She has a PLAN in place. This is KEY. Too many trainers just “dial it in” and come up with something on the fly. If you have a specific goal, make sure your trainer is helping you get there with a solid training program.
- Feeling successful. There are exercise that I just plain SUCK at (ahem….these) so my self esteem takes a huge hit each time I attempt them. It’s nice to have an exercise or 2 built in that makes me feel like a rock star.
- She is flexible. As a mom herself, she gets that I get very little sleep or that I might have an “off” morning. She can empathize with my situation.
and yet why do I say I hate her at the same time?
Because two times a week, I get my butt handed to me in the form of a challenging (yet awesome!) workout! 🙂
As I have said before, even though I am still a personal trainer, I have found that hiring one for myself is worth every penny. There are mornings where I have a zillion things to get done and I would very easily skip my workout if I didn’t have my training time scheduled.
We set appointments for hair, dentist, nails, etc. —so why not set an appointment for your health and fitness!?