We love to eat them, but our bodies hate them because they provide absolutely no nutrition whatsoever and also bring on ailments and disease, the worst of which is obesity which itself leads to other ills. We must eat to live, not live to eat, and that’s why we must try to avoid these 25 foods, popular though they may be, because they have very little nutritional value and are loaded with all that’s bad for us:
1. French Fries: It’s fried and loaded with salt – need I say more?
2. Potato Chips: Again, it’s the worst way to eat a potato. You’re better off with baked chips, but if you add the salt, it’s not really good for you.
3. Cheese burgers: Not only are they high in calories, they’re also loaded with fat because of the cheese, mayo and the beef inside.
4. Pizza: It’s made of white flour and covered in cheese, so why should it be healthy for you?
5. Sodas/Aerated drinks: They may be full of fizz, but they’re also full of sugar – they pack on the pounds without filling your stomach.
6. Fried Chicken: Chicken is healthy, but only when it’s not fried in grease like it is at KFC.
7. Ice cream: Even the low fat ones are heavy on the additives and preservatives; and no, sugar substitutes are neither healthy nor recommended as replacement for sugar.
8. Candy bars: The stickier they are, the more fat they contain. They ruin your teeth and your health.
9. Cookies: Unless they’re made at home with healthy ingredients (whole grain) that you pick, they’re not at all healthy because of the transfat and sugar.
10. Cotton candy: This concoction is nothing but colored bits of sugar, so it’s one of the worst offenders on this list.
11. Coffee: It’s loaded with caffeine, and if you’re buying it at Starbucks, it comes with fat and sugar too, unless you’re willing to forgo these two.
12. Frozen dinners: They may be your solution to avoid slaving over a hot stove, but if you look at the preservatives and additives they hold, you’re going to have to take them off your healthy list.
13. Sausages: and other food that comes in tins – they’re processed with sodium and are responsible not just for making you obese, but also for causing cancer.
14. Jelly beans: While they are low in fat and have no sodium, they are made of sugar and also have no nutritional value whatsoever.
15. Juice: If you’re drinking it out of a carton instead of making it at home, it’s packed with preservatives and sugar, no matter what it says on the carton.
16. Tinned fruit: No matter how pressed for time you are, always go for the real deal because you don’t want the preservatives from the tins.
17. Cakes: They’re made of flour and more often than not contain sugar and transfat. All in all, it’s a large price to pay for one minute of gluttony.
18. Desserts: Even the healthier ones like carrot cake and fruit salads are messed up health-wise if they’re sprinkled with sugar and contain white flour and butter.
19. Bread: If you must eat bread or pasta, go in for the wheat variety. And when you eat rice, choose the wholegrain kind instead of the polished version.
20. Steak: Even with all those veggies on the side, your steak packs in quite a few calories, even if it’s grilled.
21. Sandwiches: Unless they’re on whole wheat bread and made without butter, mayo and high fat meat, they’re a definite no-no.
22. Muffins: They may be the low-fat variety, but they still pack in quite a few calories and are made of white flour more often than not.
23. Breakfast cereal: If they’re not covered with sugar, they’re made of refined grains and are high in sodium and other preservatives.
24. Energy drinks: Unless you work out intensely and train for more than three hours a day, these drinks are only going to add to your daily caloric count.
25. Yogurt/milk: If you don’t choose the low fat kind, you’re getting more than you bargained for.
Today’s guest post is courtesy of Susan White, who regularly writes on the subject of radiology technician schools in NJ. She invites your questions, comments at her email address: email@example.com.