It is time for another installment of “One Fit Mommy”!
As I surf around the blogosphere, I come across fit moms (and dads too!) who inspire me to fitness.
Today’s fit mommy is Anne Marie, who blogs over at Goals for the Week. She is a busy mommy of two who finds the time to make fitness a priority. Please read on for more about Anne Marie and how she is definitely “One Fit Mommy”!
Q: Have you always been fit? What inspired you to live a fit lifestyle?
I was never known to be overweight, but I was never really fit until after I decided to hire a trainer/nutritionist when my twins turned 1. At my heaviest ~5 yrs ago, I was 175 (this is NOT including pregnancy weight which is a TOTALLY different number), and now I’m ~138. What inspired me to live an active lifestyle was wanting to take my fitness to a more serious level as an athlete for both triathlons and running. So I hired a trainer/nutritionist and it was by far the best investment ever! It changed my life.
Q: What advice do you have for moms who claim they don’t have time for exercise?
I think it initially takes a risk for moms to put exercise on their daily agenda for many reasons. There’s the ‘Mommy guilt’ for leaving their baby so they can go hop on a treadmill. It can feel weird at first. Also, potential post baby body issues, etc, etc. I can say for me though, I KNOW I was and am a better mom because I plan exercise in my life. It’s my ‘Me’ time, and the results transcend across all the roles I am in life.
Q: What is your favorite exercise and why?
Ooooh, that’s a tough one. I feel like it depends on my mood. But overall I’d say strength training and fartlek runs are my favorite. I’ve seen the biggest results from learning how to properly strength train. Inverse crunches and Smith rack squats are my favorite. And I love interval style runs. Talk about a post run high
Q: Are you more of a cardio mommy or strength training mommy?
Ohh, again hard to choose! I really heart them both. They just really compliment each other well. I don’t think I can choose one over the other, it’s like choosing a favorite child or something;-)
Q: Do you have any mental tricks that you use when you just don’t feel like working out?
Oh, yeah! I have a mental rolodex I rely on when I just don’t feel like working out. I’m always adding new inspirations to it, but currently my Top Motivators are:
1. I know it’ll make me feel better physically and mentally. I might lessen the intensity or duration, but I just need to get that workout in. The post workout high is worth it
2. I’m usually ‘training’ for, or tapering from, a race. These events are what fuel me. At the beginning of the year, I choose my races, then create a general training plan. This plan helps me stay focused and committed.
3. My workouts let me eat ice cream and drink my sugar coffee. If I don’t do my workouts, my treats just don’t taste the same. I like having my cake and eating it too- and that’s how I feel when I follow my workouts 😉
4. Sometimes it comes down to passing someone using a cane and I just think ‘Okay Anne Marie, use your body today… because you CAN’
5. If I don’t feel like doing my swim, bike, or run, I’ll just say ‘okay get out there and at least do it for ~10 minutes, then if I feel like quitting I can. And most times I end up doing the whole workout.
Q: Random question: What is your favorite breakfast food?
Every morning my DH makes me and the kids a fruit/protein smoothie…and it’s like dessert. Then I have it with toast and a lil’ peanut butter and I’m good to go. I am a TOTAL believer in breakfast!
Thank you Anne Marie for being an inspiration!
Ok gang, let’s all take Anne Marie’s advice and use our bodies today because we CAN! Never underestimate the power of a workout! 🙂