Just do something

I have revised Nike’s famous slogan and made one of my own. Instead of “Just do It”, I am now living by the phrase “Just do something”.

My husband travels a lot which leads me with little to no time for my own workouts anymore. I am beyond frustrated at this point and longing for the days when I could go out for a guilt-free run and then head to the gym for an hour or two.

Instead of taking advantage of what little windows I have, I have unfortunately fallen victim to the all or nothing principle. If I can’t go for a long bike ride, then I might as well just sit on the couch and do nothing. Sound familiar?

So in comes my new mantra–Just do something! Even if that means that I do 25 jumping jacks, push ups, and squats before I turn off the lights at night, it is better than nothing.

No more couch lounging for me.

How about you? What is the one “something” that you can do today to add a little fitness into your day?

1. says

Lisa, I too, have fallen victim to “not” exercising like I should because I don’t have the window of time I want to do it all. So…I think your idea of “just do something” is fabulous! Something IS better than nothing! I’m going to join you and do this!

Lances last blog post..Sunday Thought For The Day

2. says

it truly is that—and BREAKING UP WITH THE MINDSET OF “if i cant do thirty minutes it is not worth doing antyhing at all”

have a great day!

3. says

I am so guilty of this bad habit in all aspects of my life but I’ve been trying to break out of it (b/c I was sending waaayyy too much time on the couch). When in a time crunch (or just unmotivated) I tell myself I just have to do 10 sit ups or squats (nothing I have to stretch for or put on special clothes). Usually just that little bit gets me going and I’ll more effectively use what time I do have.

Anyas last blog post..NaNoWriMo: When Writers Go Wild

4. Sagan says

This is true for just about all of us, I think! I also like to do jumping jacks, especially when I’m waiting for a kettle to boil to make tea. Also, when I’m studying or doing readings for school, I’ll pace around my room or read while in a plank position just to get myself moving a little and to keep my core engaged. Every bit counts!

5. FatFighterTV says

I’m more of an all-or-nothing type exerciser, too… but when winter hits, I definitely try to just do something whenever I can especially when I do not want to set foot outside, even to go to my car! So, maybe a few sit ups here, a little jumproping there…

BTW, love the new slogan – I think Nike is going to be totally jealous.

6. Alyssa says

When my kids were very young my husband would be out of town for months at a time, and that was so frustrating, so I definitely feel your pain!
    Workout DVDs became my best friends, as did the double stroller. There are a lot of great, challenging DVDs that aren’t just a bunch of people dancing around in leotards (not that there’s anything wrong with that, lol!) And pushing my kids around in that double stroller was a great workout, lol!

7. says

Mondays are busy around here, so I usually don’t do much. But today- we will rake leaves. That always leaves my sides and arms burning and my kids love it and you have that satisfaction of covering a lot of area. It isn’t running 5 miles, but it is SOMETHING!

Hannahs last blog post..Kickin’

8. says

My mantra is “Just keep swimming” from “Finding Nemo.” Whenever I feel like I want to stop working out because I am not seeing the results that I want, I tell myself that. And I don’t even know how to swim.

9. Sonya says

Recently, when my husband was out of town I decided to have a nice day to treat myself with a nice jog, then I bought myself a gorgeous necklace from the site http://www.idonowidont.com which I wore on a night out with my girlfriends. They were so jealous!

10. says

Great reminder! It’s so easy to think “well, if I can’t do X, then I just won’t do anything.” BUT even the smallest exercises are good for us.

11. says

I agree with the comment that it is easy to fall into that all or nothing mentality. It is important that we do something, even if it is for only 5 minutes