I went to a kettlebell class!

justinprof

Giryafit’s website says “Kettlebells do twice the work in half the time” and they are not kidding.

I finally got the chance this week to go to a kettlebell class in person and it was fabulous! I took a class with Justin Case, the owner of Giryafit. In addition to being a personal trainer, he is also a KBC kettlebell instructor who clearly knows his stuff. I liked his no-nonsense approach to fitness, at one point he said “You shouldn’t even hear the music because you are working so hard”.

Now THAT is my kind of trainer!

I don’t want fluff; I want someone to push me past my comfort zone and help me get results! My DVDs are wonderful, but nothing beats being in a live class with someone telling you to go faster and stronger for the next 10 minutes.

Yes, that is right, 10 minute intervals! (as opposed to the 2 minute intervals I was used to). I was aching and sweating (and silently cursing) , but it was so much fun! I learned some new moves and got some much needed critique on my form.

If you are new to kettlebell training, I definitely recommend taking a class in person for that very reason. I thought my form was great, but after Justin made a few adjustments, I could clearly tell a difference.

I also need to stress that this is such a fantastic NON-IMPACT workout! If you are injured like me, this is an optimal way to improve or maintain your fitness without aggravating certain injuries.

Another key point to remember is that kettlebell training is not something you are going to master right away. The moves are complex and different from what we are used to, but when done properly, they are very effective.

As I was exploring Giryafit’s website, I found this excellent piece of advice:

“If you’re a whiner or someone who expects results without a drop of sweat you should probably keep waiting for that magic pill; this probably isn’t for you. It is not a walk in the park, but its ability to burn fat at an alarming rate and build long beautiful muscles can’t be ignored.”

So, put aside those studies about exercise in a pill and get yourself over to a kettlebell facility. Please visit Giryafit for more information about kettlebell training and why it can benefit you.

I am hooked and can’t wait to go back and do it all over again!

Fitness can and should be FUN gang. Find something you love to do and just get it done.

Comments

1. Godiva Girl says

Thanks, Lisa!

I’ve got the Sarah Lurie DVD after your lst recommendation, but would love to kick it up a notch. Did you attend a group class or do a personal training session? I’m about 1 1/2 hrs from GiryaFit. Should I trek up for one session??

2. workoutmommyworkoutmommy says

Robin-check around to see if you have any CrossFit facilities in your area. They usually have classes. It was a lot of fun! (but very tough)

3. workoutmommyworkoutmommy says

Godiva Girl, I did a group class but plan to do a personal training session soon. Since it is a bit of a trek for you, I would suggest a personal session. That way you can make sure you have the form correct and can ask questions, etc. Give Justin a call,he is very nice.

4. Alice says

We have a Crossfit facility in the area, I cannot wait to go. I shall use my videos until baby is born and I am recovered. The more I use my kettlebells, the more I like them. I am glad to hear more positive feedback about it. Thanks Lisa!

Alices last blog post..

5. says

It’s always good to change your routine and to face new challenges and i completely agree with the advice that’s impossible to lose weight without any effort, actually you will have to put much more effort than you imagine.
    Good luck with your new class.

Alex Costa – minimizeme.tvs last blog post..The plan revised

6. workoutmommyworkoutmommy says

zandria-I am definitely going back again. On Saturday mornings he has an outdoor circuit class, want to try that with me? :)

7. says

Kettlebells have intrigued me recently. Seems like I’ve heard a lot more about them over the last year or so. And everything I’ve heard has been super positive. Maybe it’s time to look into them…

I love the quote from the website – there are no shortcuts on this journey – we “earn” the body we have.

Lances last blog post..Maintenance, Do You Do It?

8. says

I’ve been reading a lot about kettlebells lately. I have no idea what that’s all about but it sounds great. I am going to look it up. I live in a military community, so if it’s sweaty and hard and muscle building you’ll find it in our local gym! LOL

Great blog,…fantastic info! I’ll definitely be back!

Shelley
    Link exchange directory http://www.benaturallywell.com/blog/add-your-blog/

We need your expertise in our new forum to get things rolling! http://www.benaturallywell.com/forums/

shelleys last blog post..Fat Loss Journey – 1 Month Down

Trackbacks

1. […] only met in person when we both attended the BlogHer conference in San Francisco.) I read about her positive experience with the class and thought, Eureka! There had to be someone there who could tell me what to do and […]