I recently re-discovered one of the best fitness devices out there.
It’s not my treadmill nor my Spinning bike.
It’s my $10 jump rope!
This is an excellent calorie burning device that every mom (and dad) must own! Fifteen minutes of jumping rope burns about 200 calories, with some give and take based on how much you weigh and how fast you are jumping.
Talk about bang for your buck! You don’t need to schedule out an hour+ time to drive to a gym, workout, drive home, etc. Just drag out your trusty jump rope and burn some serious calories!!
Here are a few tips for the jumpers who haven’t jumped in awhile:
- make sure you are wearing quality cross training or running shoes that are well cushioned. Jumping rope is a high impact activity, so your footwear should be built to absorb the impact.
- on that same note, you should be jumping on a soft surface. (like level grass, cushioned mats, or carpet) Avoid jumping on concrete.
- make sure your rope “fits” you. When you step on the middle of the rope, the end sections should fit comfortably in your hands and reach the middle of your chest.
- take small jumps. You don’t need to be a high jumper for this exercise…small hops off the ground are best.
- focus on landing on “light, quiet feet”. You should not have to worry about the pictures falling off your walls when you are jumping rope! Always land softly and quietly when jumping rope.
- Relax your shoulders
- turn the rope with your wrists, not your arms. Keep your elbows by your side as you are jumping. (If your arms are flailing about, you are not turning with your wrists!)
- Start out slowly and take brief breaks when necessary
- Be consistent!!! The more you jump rope, the easier it will get
- Remember that jumping rope is fun!
The bonus is that jumping rope is something you can do with your kids and they will LOVE it!!
Mine are a little too young to actually jump with me, but my son thinks it is hilarious to watch me jumping. (which it probably is!)
The bottom line is that we are getting fit, being healthy, and having fun!
Life doesn’t get any better than that!